Applying to EMO
Let´s play music!
Application dates 2023
- EMO’s instrument and singing studies 20.4.-24.5. The student selections will be arranged on 25.5. and 29.-31.5.2023.
- Pop/jazz department Ebeli’s instrument and singing studies Thu 8.4.-Fri 12.5. More information: www.ebeli.fi
- Music play school (muskari), new students Thu 20.4. from 13.00
- Rhythmics, new students from Thu 20.4.
- Registration for the student selections of TrEMOlo rhythmic groups Thu 20.4.- Wed 3.5. The student selection is on Thu 4.5.2023.
- Registration for the Kameleonttikuorot children’s choirs audition 20.4.-29.5. The audition will be held on Wed 31.5.
- EMO Ensemble: learn more about the audition from EMO Ensemble’s Facebook page.
- Students at Matinlahti School will register for the Aluetassu-teaching (string instruments) in August. Students receive a brochure and enrolment instructions from the school.
- Application forms: emo.eepos.fi
Please notice that applicants from Espoo are given priority especially for the most popular instruments (for example piano, violin, guitar). However there is an exception if the applicant has previous studies in an instrument and a special criterion to apply to EMO. If there is vacant study places in other instruments, they can be granted also to non-Espoo-resident.
Applying for instrument and singing studies 2023
Option 1: Applying through student selections
- New students for musical instrument and singing studies will be admitted based on student selections.
- Registration for student selection is open from 20.4.-24.5. emo.eepos.fi
- Student selections will take place on 25.5. and 29.-31.5. at Espoo Cultural Centre.
- There are places available for individual instrument teaching and Music Ladder coaching groups.
- You can apply for all instruments and singing through student selections. More information about the selection of instruments can be found here.
- No previous musical experience is required.
- More information about the student selection process at the bottom of the page
- Pop/jazz department Ebeli’s application instructions: ebeli.fi
Option 2: Registering for the Music ladder groups
- The one-year-long Music ladder coaching group admits students to vacant places in the order of registration 20.4.-24.5. emo.eepos.fi
- There is a limited number of places, and they will be filled in the order of registration.
- The groups are intended for students who have no previous experience in the instrument of their choice.
- The range of instruments includes orchestral instruments e.g. trombone, brass, woodwind coaching with recorder, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, or double bass.
- The coaching groups for the most popular instruments, such as the piano, guitar and kantele, are formed based on the student selections.
- The groups are formed by age and the timetables are published in April before the registration opens.
- More information about Music ladders can be found at the bottom of the page and on the Music ladders page.
The wide range and quality of EMO’s curriculum offer a good start for individual study paths for all kinds of players.
General information on application process
Which instrument interests you? It is worth considering this in peace before applying to instrumental studies. EMO offers all traditional western acoustic instruments. More information here.
Fascinating orchestral instruments
The most popular instruments are piano, guitar, violin and cello – there are always more applicants for these than there are free places. Good alternatives are, for example: wind instruments or double bass.
You can register as an applicant for several instruments that interest you. It is worth indicating an alternative instrument. If there are no places for your primary chosen instrument, you may be offered a place in another instrument.
How to prepare for the student selections
- Think in advance which song you will sing to the teacher
- If you have already played a musical instrument, you can prepare a song to perform
- Show up at the exact time you have booked
- Otherwise, it is enough to act on the instructions and example of the teacher
On the day of the student selection
Check your appointment time and class you have booked from the confirmation email you have received (FROM: Eepos mailing <firstname.lastname@example.org, TITLE: Espoo Music Institute – Registration: First name Last name). There is an information desk in the lobby of the Espoo Cultural Centre where you can ask for the location of the class if you are unsure where to go.
What happens at the student selection?
In the student selection, the applicant performs various assignments according to the teacher’s sample on the principle of mimicry: rhythms are repeated with rhythms, short melodies are sung according to the teacher’s sample, stomping and clapping, listening to sounds from the piano – are they different or similar? The applicant will also be asked to sing a song of their choice. The song can be e.g. Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. If the applicant already has experience in playing an instrument, it is worth giving a sample of the playing. A play sample is not a prerequisite for obtaining a student place. It is an advantage for the successful interaction of the applicant and the teacher that the guardian waits outside the class. We recommend discussing this in advance with the child.
Student selection results
The results will be sent to each applicant by email during Tuesday 13.6.2023. Those who have received a student place must confirm their student place via the link mentioned in the email no later than Thursday 15.6.2023 at 16.00. An unconfirmed student place will be offered to the next applicant in the queue.
More detailed results of the student selection assignments can be inquired by phone in autumn 6.-7.9.2023 at 13-15 from Vice Principal Marja Korpi, tel. 010 406 1482
Approximately 100 student places are freed annually for EMO’s basic studies (individual teaching) for various musical instruments. In addition, there are about 100 places available for one-year instrument coaching groups. Also, individual places may become vacant in early autumn and at the turn of the year.
General information on music studies
Preparatory Group Music Lessons: Music Ladders
The Music Institute’s Basic Studies
Other ways to join EMO - 2023
Admission by order of arrival: first come, first served:
Music Play School 0-6 yr
- Enrollment of new students from here.
Rhythmic Training 5 yr – adults
- Enrollment of new students from here.
Aluetassu – training (strings) for the students of Matinlahti school
- enrollment at the school
Admission through auditions (groups):
- Information on the auditions: email@example.com
- Information on the auditions: firstname.lastname@example.org